posted Jul 14, 2010, 7:35 AM by firstname.lastname@example.org
updated Aug 10, 2010, 11:20 AM
August 18 @ 6pm! Come one come all!
For more info, contact email@example.com or 613 832-2628.
Welcome to the first Small Swell event of the year! Here are a few things you should know about the race…
Please keep in mind:
- Registration starts at 5:30 pm
- The 2Km race starts at 6:30 pm, please be at the start line no later than 6:20
- The 6 Km race starts at 7 pm, please be at start no later then 6:45. If you are waiting for a boat that is used in the 2Km race, don’t worry, the race will not start without you.
- When you arrive at the registration table, please let the registrar know what boat you want to race in. Boat reservation is first come first serve, be sure to register early if you have a favourite boat you want to race in.
- Due to very low water level, the start line this year is west of the YMCA dock. The finish line is at the ORCC dock.
- Both 2Km and 6Km courses are loops along the shore line west of ORCC. The 2 Km course is one loop and the 6 Km course is 3 loops. There will be a buoy at 1 km mark, you must turn counter clockwise (left turn) around this buoy to avoid collisions. The second turning point for the 6 Km course is along the shoal in front of the ORCC dock, counter clockwise. The contour of the shoal is clearly marked with “floating noodles” and buoys.
- Wwards will be presented shortly after the 6 Km race to the first 3 places of each category and each age group. Categories are: outrigger, marathon canoe, sprint kayak, sprint canoe, sea kayak/surf ski and recreational canoe. Age groups are: under 50 and over 50.
- The water level is very low at this time, it is very important to not cross the buoy lines that are marking the shoal (see map attached) or you will damage the boats.
- To avoid damaging the boats, please stay at least 30 feet away from the shore line.
- We encourage you to self-rescue by swimming to the shore after tipping. There will be safety boat s on the course to assist you if you require help.
- When approaching the YMCA dock, please stay between the pink “floating noodle” and the dock. The water is very shallow beyond the pink noodle and you will damage the boat.
- Life jackets are mandatory while on water. (on your body)
- Please be courteous to the other racers. When turning, the boat in the front has the right of way.