Home‎ > ‎RCC News‎ > ‎

Harry Bourassa

posted Mar 12, 2009, 7:46 PM by graeme.lind@rideaucanoeclub.ca   [ updated May 5, 2009, 6:37 AM ]
On December 11, 2008, Harry Bourassa passed away. Harry was a paddler with the Rideau Aquatic Club in the 1930s. At the 1936 CCA championships he was a member of the Junior C4 that captured “The Black” (the famed John W. Black Trophy introduced in 1928) coveted by so many still today. In the 1940s, Harry was a member of the Club’s Board of Directors, serving as Flag Officer for the Eastern Ontario Division in 1946 and then as Commodore of the Canadian Canoe Association in 1947. After the collapse of the clubhouse at 5th Ave in 1944, the club operated in temporary huts at Lansdowne Park for a few years. Harry was a member of the Board that was instrumental in the relocation of the Club to it’s present site and again was a member of the building committee that oversaw the construction of the present clubhouse in 1977.  He was 94.

Harry Bourassa - 2nd from left