We are in COLD WATER training until further notice. When the Cold Water Policy is in effect, Paddlers will only paddle during
scheduled training sessions. MOTORBOATS must be on the water at all times when paddling from the Rideau Canoe Club.
The Club has Cold Water Training Procedures that must be followed:
- All paddlers MUST wear a life jacket
- There shall be two safety motorboats on the water at all times
- Paddlers must stay within sight of the safety boat and close to shore at all times
- Paddlers must stay in pairs and stop paddling if the coach’s whistle is blown
- In case of capsize, get your torso out of the water as much as possible onto your boat; the person you are paddling with should help keep the capsized boat steady
- Coaches will consider weather/water conditions and determine whether to cancel a session due to safety concerns.
Regardless of how experienced or skilled you are you MUST
follow the procedures. The dangers of cold water/weather are well known, including hypothermia and shock. This is why athletes, coaches, supervisors and volunteers must be fully prepared and trained for all situations and they must be aware of the risks.